Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Minnesota Manners

Regarding the phrase, "Minnesota Nice"?  It's dying.  Slowly, the decay started somewhere in the Twin Cities and is spreading outward, destroying the chipper atmosphere of small towns and big cities alike in its wake.  Ok, maybe a bit melodrmatic, but no one can deny that Minnesota NIce has been gasping for air, a fist around its neck, for quite some time now.


Minnesota-actually-pretty-freaking-rude


I'm lucky: living "south of the river" but working north of it, has given me time to prepare for its immenent arrival to my small town.  But still...

Signs of its decimation are popping up everywhere.

Silence in response to a friendly, "Hey how are ya?"

Friend, I am finishing that conversation in my head if you don't say a word, and trust me when I say you sound uneducated and rude.

No hand raised when I allow you to pass in front of my car despite no cross-walk?

This is more enraging than being cut off in heavy traffic.  I'm bigger than you.  I hold the power in this transaction.  Don't you find it unwise to offend me?  It's very simple and very common, I won't be offended or think you're making some other gesture.  Just raise the hand, palm facing any direction you prefer, best at a level slightly above or at the head, but if the temperature is below 20F I may forgive the quick and jerky lift of the arm as long as I see the flat hand that says "Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to cross the busy roadway in front of your automobile."  I've even got my A trained to do this one.


It's this easy.


No more holding doors for people?

OK, I'm not a frail elderly lady, nor am I any longer a pregnant woman of planetary proportions, but didn't this use to be common decency?  I hold the doors for grown men, children and cane-wielding ladies alike.  Because I can.  Because letting the door slam when you're two inches away is just plain rude.  Even if you're fifteen feet behind me and holding it is the awkward "make you feel rushed" thing to do, I will smile and apologize for being an idiot but inwardly still feel pleased with myself.

I'll confess to doing this.  No shame.


Cutting in front of me whilst walking in a mall?

Cinnabon is still going to be there, why the rush?  Mostly this is Mall of America rage, so I opt to avoid said location instead of crossing my fingers that I'll find polite people perusing the shops on any given day.  But on the occasions that I'm forced to pay a visit to the world's rudest largest mall, I come back out an angry, fuming, swearing beast of a human being with no hope left for humanity.  


Hell on Earth.


No you're welcome?

Ok, it could be that I overdo my please's and thank you's, but they're important.  Once we begin speaking as babies, it's the next most important thing to hi, mom and dad.  You're welcome is just as vital; an indicator that you've noticed my being polite to you and are grateful that people still say thank you in this world.  Flex that manner muscle and follow up with a you're welcome.  Please?

Seeing people struggling with a task and walking away?

Especially when eye contact is made, don't you think you could spare a moment to come to someone's rescue?  Even just ask, so you don't get barked at if they insist on being stubborn independent.

I'm sure if we refocus our efforts towards the revival of Minnesota Nice, we'll be able to slow it's demise and perhaps even see it's return in some places.  This will require commitment to the cause, dedication to educating our kids on the history and the hopeful future of all that is Minnesota Nice.  I'm afraid there's areas where it's just never going to grow back, so for now the plan is to just avoid them like my life depends on it (because it probably does, stress and heart disease: inextricably linked).  As for my family... be careful.  My daughters are much more outspoken and less passive aggressive than myself.

Annoy them with poor manners and you're going to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment