Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Off to School (Or: A note to my daughter's teachers)

Today my eldest baby, A, starts second grade.




Today, as that big yellow bus chugs away, I'll take a deep breath in and let it out real slow.  I'll remind myself that even though she'll be in the care of another competent adult (or many other competent adults), I'm still her mom, a parent, largely responsible for the education she receives and as such I'll remember throughout the year that it is my job to meet her educators halfway in all things.

A: 1st grade

Today I'll remember that learning doesn't cease with the 3:45 bell, nor does it wait for 9am to begin.  That what she is given at school are tools to utilize out in the big wide world, not just behind a desk.

That the next 11 years will bring teachers she jives with and some she may not and that together her and I can learn to navigate these tricky relationships and that success is possible no matter the personality clash.  That she can prove wrong the naysayers and that there will be some that she never forgets; they should never be taken for granted, the impact they'll have on her life will be far reaching and only obvious in hindsight.


A: Kindergarten

Today I will remember not to expect from her the world without offering her a hand to hold as she navigates this new one.

Today I am grateful for the schools, the teachers, everything they do and everything they are.  I entrust them with my everything and I will remember that as long as I always chose to play an active role in my child's education, she will know success for years to come.

A: Preschool

Happy school year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment